Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Morning After....

    by Jeanne Adams

    I'm irked. You know, annoyed. And would you like to know why?

    I didn't get to sleep until nearly 3:00 a.m. Was I blogging? Was I doing something serious, like emergency surgery or saving the world?

    No. I was reading.

    And all I have to say is DRAT NORA ROBERTS! I adore a riveting book, a story that keeps me immersed, but it's the morning after that's a killer. I have two sons and they, like most young boys, go to school. That means they need to be awake, fed and ready to go at an unholy hour of the morning. Which means I have to be up earlier than they are so that I can actually be human before I wake them up. Ugh.

    That said, there are some authors, like Nora, that I should just know better than to even START after about 3 in the afternoon. Any later and I'm screwed, as far as sleep is concerned. And doesn't that sound vaguely naughty? Grins.

    Mercedes Lackey does this to me too, as do every single one of our Banditas. Kate Carlisle, drat her, has kept me up with both her Brooklyn Wainright mysteries and her Silhouette Desire. I won't even START on Anna Campbell. I was smart enough to take Christine, Donna and Christie on various plane rides, which made the travel effortless and painless. Thankfully, I was smart enough to start Trish, AC, and Kirsten's books when I had time to read straight through, although I confess to reading Kirsten's book in the carpool lane, while stirring spagetti sauce, and while doing laundry. None of the laundry got folded until I was done, however. Grins.

    Now, I do have a warning for you. A serious one. Do NOT read either Tawny's ultra sexy Blazes or Susan Sey's Money Honey on a plane or on the Metro/Subway unless you want every other passenger on the plane/train looking at you as you either blush madly or laugh out loud. And in my case, it was laughing VERY loud. Ha! I'm sure this will ber very, very true for Bandita Suz's forthcoming, fabulous, sexy debut.

    I got three books last weekend when I went to Nora's husband's bookstore in Boonsboro, Maryland, about an hour north of DC. Turn the Page (http://www.ttpbooks.com/) books is a fabulous little store, and when there's a booksigning, the population of the town seemingly doubles, sometimes even triples. I bought three of her books, and one of Mariah Stewart's books, and another wonderful book by Camille DeAngelis.

    Camille is a new author to me, I'll let you know how her book, Petty Magic turns out for me. So far, it's fabulous! I started it on the brief plane ride between DC and New York. I'm at the RWA Board Meeting in the most superb, happenin' publishing town in the world. Bandita Trish and I will check out the New York's Marriott Marquis for next summer's annual conference. That said, I won't be around much on Friday. I hope, as a famous New Yorker was fond of saying on Saturday Night Live, I hope you'll "Tawk Amongst Ya'Selves!"

    For now, I need some sleep....but there's just a few more chapters......zzzzzzzzzzzz

    What? Oh, sorry. Fell asleep. That's what happens when you get no sleep after a long night reading a fabulous book!

    Who keeps you up late?

    We often talk about fun new finds and favorite reads in the Lair, but which authors are your addiction? Who can't you resist?

    Do you ever skip the dishes, dinner and sleep to read?

    Let's talk "Auto-buy!"

    Grins.

    (I promise I'll stay awake!)Source URL: http://itistheforkhead.blogspot.com/2010/11/morning-after.html
    Visit It Is The Forkhead for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive