Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!!

    By Kate

    It’s Thanksgiving Day here in the USA and many of us are looking forward to celebrating the day by cooking, watching football, and eating too much.

    Oh, and we also give thanks for that which we've been blessed. ;-)


    Now, as some of you may know, I am officially known as the worst cook in the world. No, really. I burn things. All the time. Our smoke alarm gets a real workout whenever I step into the kitchen.

    And yet, for my family, I took a chance and cooked several side dishes for the holiday. So what do I have to be thankful for this Thanksgiving?

    I didn’t burn anything! Hallelujah!!

    Yeah, it was a shock for me, too. :-)

    Okay, now let’s talk about what I’m really thankful for this time of year. I’m especially thankful for my dear family and for so many wonderful friends here in the Lair and elsewhere. I’m thankful that I’m able to write books for a living and I’m doubly thankful for all the fabulous readers, booksellers and librarians I’ve met all over the country. Thank you!!

    So now, just for fun … here's a snack to enjoy at a holiday party or a small gathering with friends. It’s an old family recipe and so simple to make, even I can do it—without burning anything!

    Be careful with these – they’re addictive! They only take 5 minutes to mix, then 20 minutes baking time.

    Kate's Crazy Mixed-Up Nuts

    ¼ cup butter
    2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp each: seasoned salt, celery salt and garlic powder
    ½ tsp ground cumin
    ¼ tsp. each cayenne pepper and pepper
    1 c. shelled walnuts
    1 cup pecan halves
    1 cup whole almonds, lightly toasted

    Preheat oven to 325 F. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Simmer over low heat for several minutes for flavors to blend. Stir in nuts and transfer to a shallow baking pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

    Makes 3 cups. (Great with cocktails. And they can also be tossed on salads.)

    Wishing everyone in the States a very Happy Thanksgiving! And to our friends in other parts of the world, a very Happy Thursday!!

    I’m enjoying a cool, sunny day here in Palm Desert, California. Where are you today? How’s the weather? And what are you thankful for today? For sharing with us on Thanksgiving, I’ve got a signed copy of THE LIES THAT BIND and some fun promo goodies for one random commenter!
    Source URL: http://itistheforkhead.blogspot.com/2010/11/happy-thanksgiving.html
    Visit It Is The Forkhead for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive